Ahh, the classic summer road trip. Let’s be honest: It’s perhaps the one thing that most of us either have on our bucket lists or other social postings are nudging towards with the whole “Best Things to Do in Your 20s” pitch. Aside from Instagram’s Valencia-filtered image of it, you will most likely find yourself tone-deaf and sunburnt. But isn’t that the best part? A road trip brings friendships closer together. You’ll know your true friends when you can tolerate sitting in traffic with them.
So before embarking on your adventure, keep in mind the following stages of the summer road trip:
1. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST TRIP EVER!
2. Roll down the windows. Roll them down. ALL OF THEM.
3. Turn up the music! This is my jaaaaaam. On my count: 5, 6, 7, 8…
5. DANCE PARTY!
4. The open road seems as good a place as any to divulge your soul’s desires and deepest secrets.
5. “YOU DID WHAT?!”
6. This first hour out of 10 has been great. We should totally backpack Machu Picchu together in the future.
7. *Blowing up Snapchat with more obnoxious videos of each other singing “My Heart Will Go On”*
8. Ummmf, anyone else hungry?
10. WAFFLE HOUSE IS THE NEXT EXIT. PULL OVER NOW.
11. *Leaves Waffle House and begins driving on the open highway again* Wait, I have to pee.
12. Why is the state of Virginia the longest thing to drive through?
13. Stop being so annoying.
15. As time goes by, your passenger seat contortions get weirder…
16. Sometimes you have to wonder how some of your friends got their licenses…
17. Silence. Not awkward silence, but the perfectly content silence between you and your best friend.
18. Which Instagram filter looks best on this photo?
19. At this point, your leg is probably hanging out the window.
20. …And half your body is sunburnt…
21. Are we there yet?