Hurricane Sandy hit some areas of the Mid-Atlantic pretty hard recently. The good news is there are some ways that you can help out! Here are immediate on-campus opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to contribute to hurricane relief and recovery efforts in the Mid-Atlantic.
Thu. Nov. 8, 3:30 – 5:00pm: Adopt-A-Campus: Towson University will be collecting supplies (see list below) or any cash donations to help with the relief and recovery efforts in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York. You can drop off the supplies or any donations at Student Activities, second floor of the Union in suite 217 during our operation hours until Fri. Nov 9 at 5:00pm. We will send volunteers to offices around campus to pick up supplies/donations on Thu., Nov. 8 from 3:30pm – 5:00pm. If you would like supplies picked up from your office or resident hall, please e-mail Corinne DeRoberts at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm on Thu. Nov. 8, so we can coordinate a pick-up by your office or outside of your resident hall. It is encouraged that members in shared offices or departments centralize their efforts to make pick up easier. You can also email Corinne DeRoberts, email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering and helping with pick-up or organization. All cash donations will be given to the Red Cross, you can contribute online at www.redcross.org
Fri. Nov. 9, 11am – 1pm: Make-A-Card: On Fri. Nov. 9, there will be a table in the 2nd floor lobby of the Union with supplies to make a thank you or encouragement cards to various emergency staff and agencies that have been working around the clock in relief efforts. We can designate a place to send the card or you can let us know where you want it sent. Please take the time to share messages of positivity.
Sat. Nov. 10, 8 – 10:30pm: Saturday Scene: Live Band Series: On Sat. Nov. 10, the Saturday Scene presents the Live Band Series. The Live Band Series features musical talents of Towson University Students or Alumni. This week, Daytona Drive By and The Lake Effect are performing. The show begins at 8pm in Paws located on the first floor of the Union. This is a free show, however cash donations will be taken for hurricane relief and recovery efforts. All cash donations will go to the Red Cross, you can make a donation online: www.redcross.org
We are looking for the following supplies:
- Baby Formula
- Blue Roof Tarps
- Canned meals (chili, ravioli, etc.)
- Disinfectant cleaner
- Feminine hygiene supplies
- First Aid Kits
- Hearty soups
- New underwear of all sizes for men, women and children (Used underwear will not be accepted)
- Non-perishable food
- Non-perishable fruit juice (apple, cranberry, etc.) either in small individual containers or in large bottles
- Over-the-counter medications such as Pepto-Bismol, Advil, topical antiseptics such as Neosporin
- Paper cups
- Paper plates
- Peanut butter
- School supplies for children who have been displaced and have nothing (These children will be enrolled in the local school systems.) Pencils, paper, crayons, small scissors, manila paper, folders with pockets in them, three-ringed binders, rulers, etc.
- Shelf-stable or instant milk
- Toiletries such as soap, deodorant, shampoo